Year 8 Admissions
A Sneak Peak into Year 8 at St. Catherine's College, Armagh
ADMISSION CRITERIA FOR YEAR 8
In selecting children for admission, only children resident in Northern Ireland at the time of their proposed
admission to the school will be considered for admission.
In the case of the school being oversubscribed the Governors have determined that pupils will be admitted to the
school according to the following criteria and in the order indicated. In the event of there being oversubscription
within any of the Criteria the subsequent Criterion in the order indicated will be applied to determine which pupils
within the oversubscribed Criterion should be admitted, e.g. if there is oversubscription within Criterion 4, Criteria
5, 6, 7 and 8 are then applied in that order to determine which children satisfying Criterion 4 should be admitted.
In the case of pupils who have special circumstances (medical, social or security) the Board of Governors will
determine the merits of individual cases and may offer a place without regard to the Admissions Criteria. Written
evidence will be required to support any such request and must be given on or attached to the Transfer Form.
1. Sisters/half-sisters of pupils, present and past whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint
2. Daughters of members of the school staff whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint
3. Pupils who attend any of the Primary schools in the Parish of Armagh whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st
preference for Saint Catherine’s College.
4. Pupils of the following primary schools whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s
Roan St Patrick’s Eglish, St James’ Drumatee, St John’s Moy, St John the Baptist Portadown, St John’s Eglish
Portadown, St Joseph’s Caledon, St Jarlath’s Blackwatertown, Derrylatinee, St Peter’s Collegelands,
Presentation Portadown, St Oliver Plunkett’s Ballyhegan, Ballyoran, St Mary’s Maghery, Portadown
Integrated, St Patrick’s Cullyhanna, Clintyclay Primary School, St Michael’s Clady.
5. Applicants who are the eldest female child in the family whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for
Saint Catherine’s College.
6. Those pupils who live nearest the school measured as ‘the crow flies’ measured by a data agency using midpoint of postal code whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College. Should a
data agency not be available, this will be done using google maps.
7. Preference will be given to older children starting with the oldest established by date-of-birth as entered on
a Birth Certificate whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College. Where 2 or
more children (apart from twins or multiple births) have the same date of birth final selection will be based
on the alphabetical order of the child’s surname. Where 2 or more children have the same surname the
alphabetical order of first (and subsequent forenames) shall be used as necessary.
8. Those pupils whose Transfer Form expresses a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th preference for Saint Catherine’s College, with
admission being granted in that order, after the above criteria have been applied.
1. Full responsibility rests with Parents/Guardians to provide sufficient and full details on the Transfer Form to
allow the Admissions Criteria to be fairly administered.
2. Inaccurate or misleading information provided on or attached to an application may prejudice an offer of a
place and may lead to the withdrawal of a place awarded to an applicant who has thereby gained an improper
DUTY TO VERIFY
The Board of Governors reserves the right to require such supplementary evidence as it may determine to support
or verify information on any Application Form/Transfer Form.
All applicants for places in Saint Catherine’s College should note that the provision of false or incorrect information
or the failure to provide information within the deadlines set by post-primary schools can result in the withdrawal
of a place and the inability to offer a place on the part of any school nominated in the applicant’s Transfer Form.