Year 8 Admissions
A Sneak Peak into Year 8 at St. Catherine's College, Armagh
ADMISSION CRITERIA FOR YEAR 8
In selecting children for admission, only children resident in Northern Ireland at the time of their proposed admission to the school will be considered for admission.
In the case of the school being oversubscribed the Governors have determined that pupils will be admitted to the school according to the following criteria and in the order indicated. In the event of there being oversubscription within any of the Criteria the subsequent Criterion in the order indicated will be applied to determine which pupils within the oversubscribed Criterion should be admitted, e.g. if there is oversubscription within Criterion 4, Criteria 5, 6, 7 and 8 are then applied in that order to determine which children satisfying Criterion 4 should be admitted.
In the case of pupils who have special circumstances (medical, social or security) the Board of Governors will determine the merits of individual cases and may offer a place without regard to the Admissions Criteria. Written evidence will be required to support any such request and must be given on or included with the application.
1. Sisters/half-sisters of pupils, present and past whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College.
2. Daughters of members of the school staff whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College.
3. Pupils who attend any of the Primary schools in the Parish of Armagh whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College.
4. Pupils of the following primary schools whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College:
Roan St Patrick’s Eglish, St James’ Drumatee, St John’s Moy, St John the Baptist Portadown, St John’s Eglish Portadown, St Joseph’s Caledon, St Jarlath’s Blackwatertown, Derrylatinee, St Peter’s Collegelands, Presentation Portadown, St Oliver Plunkett’s Ballyhegan, Ballyoran, St Mary’s Maghery, Portadown Integrated, St Patrick’s Cullyhanna, Clintyclay Primary School, St Michael’s Clady.
5. Applicants who are the eldest female child in the family whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College.
6. Those pupils who live nearest the school measured as ‘the crow flies’ measured by a data agency using mid-point of postal code whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College. Should a data agency not be available, this will be done using google maps.
7. Preference will be given to older children starting with the oldest established by date-of-birth as entered on a Birth Certificate whose Transfer Form expresses a 1st preference for Saint Catherine’s College. Where 2 or more children (apart from twins or multiple births) have the same date of birth final selection will be based on the alphabetical order of the child’s surname. Where 2 or more children have the same surname the alphabetical order of first (and subsequent forenames) shall be used as necessary.
8. Those pupils whose Transfer Form expresses a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th preference for Saint Catherine’s College, with admission being granted in that order, after the above criteria have been applied.
Full responsibility rests with Parents/Guardians to provide sufficient and full details on the application to allow the Admissions Criteria to be fairly administered.
Inaccurate or misleading information provided on or included with an application may prejudice an offer of a place and may lead to the withdrawal of a place awarded to an applicant who has thereby gained an improper advantage.
DUTY TO VERIFY
The Board of Governors reserves the right to require such supplementary evidence as it may determine to support or verify information on any application form.
All applicants for places in Saint Catherine’s College should note that the provision of false or incorrect information or the failure to provide information within the deadlines set by post-primary schools can result in the withdrawal of a place and the inability to offer a place on the part of any school nominated in the applicant’s Transfer Form.